Monday, January 21, 2013

My Views

My philosophical leanings have changed a lot over the years. I am most commonly recognized on the internet, if at all, by just a few individuals who may or may not still be following what I do. At this point I would expect that number to be zero, since I have done nothing of any real value in terms of blogging for quite some time, and have frequently abandoned and changed the format of this blog.

I have been affiliated with the Church of Satan as a basic member for a few years now, and that was a focal point of my writing over the years in this blog and in other venues. Now, I consider myself more neutral; I leapt into Satanism with a very limited understanding of the philosophy as a whole, really looking to adopt an identity as part of an ongoing quest to "find myself". It just as easily could have been Buddhism or Paganism, or any other ism, and although I respect the Church of Satan and some of its members very much, it would be completely unfair and unrealistic at this point for me to subscribe fully to such a view.

If anyone is reading this who remembers me at this point, I am only stating this to satisfy any possible lingering curiosity concerning what I have been up too. I don't feel a need to resign or hand in my membership; I've done nothing explicitly against the Church of Satan, nor do I disagree with the values or philosophy put forth by Anton Szandor LaVey. I just don't feel "in the clutch" right now, and I have a lot of work to do before I am going to be able to properly evaluate my own position, and adopt any sort of concrete viewpoint or ism again - if I ever do.

It's far more interesting and important for me to simply do what I do, without worrying about where I fit in. I am also largely unconcerned with finding a "community," even a non-community such as Letters to the Devil with which to communicate with others. I appreciate the collaborations I have done with other people, and hope to do so in the future, regardless of my own position or lack thereof; I want to do it based on my own talents and merit however, rather than relying on ownership of a red member card in order to find people of value to work with.

This post is largely unnecessary for the most part, but honesty is fairly important to me during this time of discovery and recovery. So I thought I would share my feelings on this subject, if only for my own personal benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment